Why You Should Use Antioxidants in your Summer Skincare Routine
While the weather becomes more warm and sunny, people are beginning to spend more time outdoors. In addition to using SPF to protect our skin from sunburns and the damaging sun rays, we also need to consider other environmental aggressors such as free radicals.
Free radicals are molecules with unpaired electrons. They rob other cells of electrons, causing damage and contributing to many diseases. They come through the sun’s rays, environmental pollution, and more and they cause oxidation to occur. Oxidation causes premature aging, like fine lines, discoloration, and destruction of the vital proteins that give skin its support = dark spots, loss of elasticity and skin sagging.
Since UV rays are stronger during the warm summer months, skincare with antioxidants will be your new BFF.
What do antioxidants do for you? Antioxidants work by generously giving electrons to free radicals without turning into electron-scavenging substances themselves and stop them from damaging the skin. They are also involved in mechanisms that repair DNA and maintain the health of cells. Antioxidants reduce inflammation which can reduce redness in acne and rosacea.
In addition to protecting our skin, Dr. Lily Talakoub, founder of Derm to Door, explains that “[antioxidants] prevent the breakdown of collagen and elastin, which leads to sagging and wrinkling of the skin. They also help prevent the formation of sunspots.”
We recommend to look for skincare containing sources of antioxidants like vitamin C, vitamin E, and vitamin A. Dr. Lily Talakoub also lists “resveratrol [and] niacinamide” as excellent options. Ferulic acid, coffee berry extract, marula oil, argan oil, coconut oil, and trehalose are also antioxidant-rich ingredients.
The Best Antioxidant Skincare Products
Here's a roundup of our favorite dermatologist-approved skincare products with antioxidants:
- iS Clinical Pro-heal is perfect for treating redness, rosacea and sensitive skin. Kojic acid helps lighten dark spots, while vitamins A, C and E help to heal, exfoliate, nourish and protect the skin.
- Skinceuticals C E Ferulic provides ultimate free radical protection with vitamin C, vitamin e and ferulic acid and leaves your skin glowing and nourished.
- Alastin Regenerating Skin Nectar provides high antioxidant activity and is designed to calm the skin and reduce the appearance of redness. Shop more Alastin Skincare products here.
- SkinKure High Potency Vitamin C Serum is enriched with ingredients to help brighten the complexion, support healthy collagen production, and help fight free radicals.
- HUM vitamin D supplements protects against free radicals and is also great for boosting your immune system.
Pro tip: avoid the use of retinols during the summer months to prevent increasing your skins sensitivity to the sun.
The Best Antioxidant Supplements
Dr. Lily Talakoub also recommends taking one of these antioxidant rich supplements daily:
- Hush & Hush TimeCapsule Anti-Aging Supplement
- NUM Nutrition Red Carpet Skin and Hair Health Supplement
- NUM Nutrition Glow Sweet Glow Hydration Vegan Gummies
Still not sure which products are right for your skin? Derm to Door can help! Receive a free virtual skin diagnosis with our easy to use app: download for iOS, download for Android. Our Derm to Door app offers skin scan and treatment options (including prescription products from brand names you already love)... all from the comfort of your home at no extra cost. You can also text us at 571-766-8414 or email email@example.com with any questions.